วันพุธที่ 11 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2555

Tipping in Thailand

To tip or not to tip? As an American I was brought up in a tipping culture and therefore tip assistance wherever I go. Many citizen will tell you that Thailand is not a tipping culture or at least it wasn't until us Americans ruined the place leaving tips everywhere.

So, some citizen tip when they go to Thailand and some don't and the argument rages on.

Hotel Phuket Thailand

I had the occasion to eat in some small Thai restaurants on my last trip and I watched what the Thai citizen did and oddly adequate most of them left a tip for their waitress, not much but a tip all the same. They all seemed to leave just the change from the bill...maybe 5 to 10 baht each.

One thing is for sure whether the Americans started it or not Thais in the assistance commerce expect something. Believe me, I've heard the term cheap Charlie thrown around on quite a few occasions when a non tipper left the scene of the crime.

Not everyone expects a tip. The road cart vendors or baht bus drivers you don't tip. The taxi's I regularly round up the meter payment as a tip but for the maids, waitresses, and bartenders I tip well. You don't have to give huge tips but what you give is appreciated and regularly remembered. I regularly leave the maid 20-50 baht a day tip and at the cafeteria or bar leave a 20 - 50 baht tip sometimes more as the cafeteria and bar staff regularly pool their tips. If I want to make sure that the someone I want to get the tip gets it I'll slip it to them on the sly. More times than not they'll split it with the others anyway.

Some citizen argue that they are already getting paid to do their job and should not get any more but for me I can't see things that way, especially in a country where the midpoint Thai earns in the middle of three to six thousand baht a month (0-0). Yes, the cost of living is a lot economy in Thailand but that is easy for a foreigner to say when we are spending the equivalent of a Thai's yearly wages in a week or two on vacation.

The Thai citizen are very accommodating to begin with, taking care of the citizen taking care of you only makes for a better vacation and that is never a bad thing.

Tipping in Thailand

Friends Link : งานเชียงใหม่ เสื้อผ้า มือ สอง ราคา Hotel Phuket Thailand Best Ipad Apps

0 ความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น